Phyllis is a principal of the firm, which she founded in 1996 under the firm’s prior name, Jewell & Associates. She is a Certified Specialist in Immigration & Nationality Law (State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization). Consistently recognized as a practitioner at the top of the field of U.S. immigration, Phyllis has a reputation for solving tough problems in employment-based immigration cases and developing consistently successful and scalable immigration programs for fast-growth organizations.
Since she began her career in immigration law in 1985, Phyllis has practiced in all areas of U.S. immigration law and has developed a particular focus on the representation of foreign nationals and their employers in the full range of employment-related U.S. immigration matters. Phyllis currently serves as an internal mentor to the firm's other lawyers in their work advising on nonimmigrant and immigrant matters, and providing counsel on organizational immigration compliance, policy development, export controls, and global migration.
Honors & Awards:
- Peer-review rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- American Immigration Lawyers Association’s NorCal Chapter elected officer 1992-1996; member of Chapter Executive Committee 1991-1997; member of national committees 1992-1993
- Selected for inclusion in the Northern California Super Lawyers® annually 2004-2013 and 2015-present
- Selected for inclusion in Who’s Who Legal for Corporate Immigration 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019
- Co-Chair, Vice Chair, and Chair, Barristers Immigration Committee for the Bar Association of San Francisco, 1989-1991
- Pro bono volunteer, ProBar (South Texas Pro Bono Asylum Representation Project)
Memberships & Admissions:
- State Bar of California
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- B.A. Pomona College
- J.D. Tulane University Law School
- Post-graduate law studies, Université Pierre Mendès-France (Grenoble II), France