Changes of Address

Update on requirement that non-citizens notify INS of change of address

News Release from Jewell & Associates

UPDATE: Form AR-11 (Change of Address) can now be found and completed online at

We published a notice on the INS change-of-address requirement earlier this year, containing differing requirements for immigrants and non-immigrants. INS now has changed its position and declared that all aliens in the U.S. should use the same procedure. Following is an up-to-date summary of the change-of address requirements:

Section 265 of the Immigration & Nationality Act requires aliens (i.e., non-U.S. citizens) in the U.S. to notify the INS in writing of a change of address within 10 days of the change. This provision was part of the U.S. immigration law for many years, but was not enforced. However, in the aftermath of the 9/11/01 attacks, INS is enforcing compliance with the change-of-address requirement.

For any alien in the U.S. to notify the INS of his/her address, the required notification must be made on Form AR-11, an INS change-of-address form. Form AR-11 can be downloaded from the INS web site at, and it includes the address to which the form should be sent.  It is advisable to send the form by certified mail, return receipt requested, and to keep a copy of the form.

The obligation to notify the INS in writing of a change of address within 10 days of the change continues until the person becomes a U.S. citizen.

© Jewell & Associates 2002